The name Anarkali signifies the beauty of budding pomegranate flower, and the Anarkali salwar suit indicates the softness and innocence of women wearing it. It can make any woman look beautiful, elegant and regal. The classic Anarkali suit is a combination of long flowing frock style kurta and tight fitted leggings like bottom with a sheer complimentary chunri or stole.
The history of Anarkali suits:
The origin of Anarkali suit dates back to the Mughal era as this kind of salwar suit is named after the famous courtesan Anarkali who danced at the great emperor Akbar’s court. This story along with the royal Anarkali costume was immortalised by the late actor Madhubala in the movie Mughal-E-Azam as she started the trend of Anarkali suits. Angrakha, the classic outfit of the Indian classical Kathak dancers, is very similar to the Anarkali suits. The Kathak dancers from the Lucknow Gharana still wear the Anarkali suit at their performance.
Types of Anarkali Suits:
The plus point of wearing an Anarkali suit is, it flatters and suits every body types. The Anarkali suit can be of many kinds depending on the style and designs. They are:
1. Jacket Anarkali: The Jacket Anarkali comes with jackets of many sizes and fabrics, both attached and separate. Women with heavy bosom can add this jacket up and flaunt this style with grace.
2. Cape Anarkali: The Cape Anarkalis are ruling the market this year. In this style, the Anarkali kurta is paired with a pastel coloured cape instead of the churni.
3. Layered Anarkali: This type of Anarkali is embellished with numerous layers and adds a beautiful bounce effect to the kurta.
4. Floor length Anarkalis: The floor length Anarkali have a longer torso with different blouse patterns and the length of this kurta decks up with many embroideries and stitch works which add volume to the kurta.
5. Tail Cut Anarkali: The base frills of this Anarkali are higher at the front, which gives it a fishtail pattern.
6. Pakistani Anarkali: The Pakistani Anarkali suits are gorgeous with all its chikkan embroidery works and flowery design with glamorous
7. Anarkali Gowns: The Anarkali gowns are beautiful on a whole different level as it combines the elegance of a gown and gorgeousness of an Anarkali.
Fabrics which are used in Anarkali salwar suits:
Anarkalis can be made with many types of fabrics and embroideries like velvet, cotton, georgette, silk and net. Velvet Anarkalis are hefty and looks gorgeous. The cotton Anarkalis are for those girls who love simplicity and elegance. The georgette Anarkali is great if you want that cute frills and swirls. The silk fabric adds an extra touch of Royalty in your Anarkali, and the silk feels great on your skin. The net Anarkali can make you look extra stylish.
Anarkali for different body type:
Anarkali came back with a bang in the recent years with many period films coming. Before rocking this beautiful trend read this article to know what type of Anarkali is going to suit your body type.
- Tall body type: If you are tall, do not worry before donning an Anarkali suit. Being leggy lass, you can experiment with contrasting colours. Look for the empire waistline while buying an Anarkali.
Petite body type: if you are small and petite, choose your Anarkali with less or medium flare. While picking up an Anarkali kurta find a knee length one.
Short body type: Short girls have to be careful while picking up a suitable Anarkali as you could end up looking like a tent. You have to choose one with single colour without too many pleats.
Plump body type: Woman with stout body type should don an Anarkali with pleats starting from the bust, which hides all the flaws of your lower body.
Woman with any body type can wear Anarkali suits. The Anarkali suit highlights your upper body while covering up your lower body with the pleats. The kind of fabrics, styles, and works available on the Anarkali suits makes it a whole, versatile garment.